Licorice is a popular herb in Indian subcontinent. This multipurpose herb is commonly available in general stores across the country. It is popularly known as Mulethi in Hindi. In Ayurveda Licorice is one of the most widely used medicinal herbs and is found in numerous traditional formulas. The Liquorice root contains glycyrrhizic acid which is approximately 50 times sweeter than sugar. Following are the benefits of Licorice/ Mulethi:-
1) For Weight gain and Strength: - Mix 5 Gms licorice, ½ teaspoon ghee (purified butter) and 1.5 teaspoon honey. Consume the mixture with a glass of milk. Add candy sugar in milk for taste. You can add Ashwagandha in place of honey, if unavailable.
2) For Mouth ulcers: - Keep a piece of slightly chewed mulethi in mouth for sometime to get relief.
3) For Angina pain: - licorice ½ teaspoon mix with ½ teaspoon of katuki (Picrorhiza scrophulariiflora) should be taken twice a day with lukewarm water.
4) For Irregular periods: - 5-6 Gms of licorice mixed with a teaspoon of honey should be taken for few days. A glass of cold sweetened milk with sugar candy can be taken after its consumption.
5) For cough: - boil 250 ml water mixed with 5 Gms licorice till it reduces to half its quantity. Divide this potion in two equal parts and drink it the same day in morning and evening to get rid of the cough problem.
6) For stomach ache: - 5 Gms Licorice powder boiled in a glass of water, Drink twice or thrice a day.
7) For High Cholesterol and Heart Diseases: - Studies have suggested that licorice may also play an important role in the treatment of heart disease. In one study, people with high cholesterol experienced a significant reduction in total cholesterol, LDL ("bad") cholesterol, and triglyceride levels after taking licorice root extracts for one month.
You can find me on Google+